Something about the history of Brienno.
Brienno is a small pre-roman village in the province of Como. The name “Brienno” is most probably derived from the celtic word “Brig”, which means ‘mountain’, and infact in the local dialect the word which indicates mountains, hills is “Bric”.
The village is situated, on a small slip of land between the mountains and on the other side the shores of lake Como. The city of Como can easily be reached at 15 km distance via the main road (la Regina) on the western bank of Lake Como. Brienno counts just over 400 permanent inhabitants.
The neighborhood has to offer:
- Cycle around if you're up to some nice climbs…we can advise you on some
- Rent a motorboat in Cernobbio to have some fun on the lake and enjoy the view on the nice gardens and houses at the borders of the lake
- take a boat to Bellagio and wander around in the center of Bellagio and in the beautiful gardens of villa Melzi
- Follow the nice 'Greenways', walking paths, along the lake from village to village
- definitely stop at the beautiful Villa Balbianello and his gardens in Lenno...to breath the rich Italian architectural culture and still feel a bit of Bond excitement since Casino Royal was recorded here.
- more beautiful villa's and gardens: Villa Olmo in Como and Villa Erba in Cernobbio
- into some Belgian history? Take a taxiboat to Isola Comacina, the small charming island in the Como lake that was given in 1919 to our Belgian king Albert I by the maire AG Caprani of Sala Comacina, as a thank for the Belgians being brave during World War 1. He gave it back to the Italian government in 1920 and they put the Brera-art-Academy in charge of building ateliers for Belgian and Italian artists. Every year the Flemish and French community send resp. 5 and 6 artists to work on the Island. Recently the artist-houses were completely restored and refurbished by famous Belgian designers.
- relax at the Lido di Moltrasio, a small beach with sunbeds and a nice bar/pizzeria
- visit the local markets and go shopping in the beautiful Como, Cernobbio or the big outlet-center 'Fox Town' just across the border with Switserland
- don't miss a city-trip to Milan and Lugano
- in wintertime there's a small ski-slope only 15minutes away in Val d'Intelvi and a bigger one in Madesimo is 2 hours drive away
- Birimbo a Brienno, the local pizzeria with nice summerterrace and also take away for pizza's
- Crotto dei platani a Brienno, at the border of lake Como, less than 1km from Casa4, interpreting traditional dishes of the area
- Vecchio Molo a Laglio, good fish from the lake
- La Locanda del Cantiere a Laglio, excellent pizzocheri
- Tavernola Valverde a Cernobbio, restaurant and pizzeria
- Gatto nero a Cernobbio, fine Italian kitchen and splendid view over the lake…changes into a fairytale
- La Terrazza a Cernobbio, with super romantic view on the lake
- La Griglia a Argegno, good wine, meet and pizzoccheri
- Massilianico a Como, good fish
- Osteria del Gallo a Como, typical Osteria with fresh food of the day and great chose of wine
Aperitivi e gelati:
- after a 2 minutes drive you can find a couple of nice bars and a delicious gelateria on the central square of Argegno